A 4-piece set with endless possibilites
- Get Colorful: With some boxes of white cake mix a set of four food colors you've got all you need to make a huge variety of 8-layer celebration cakes.
Rainbow colors never go out of style
Ombre style cakes (Here's the How To)
Alternating holiday colors. Try red, white, and blue for the 4th of July.
- Piñata cake: Don't bake the small layers for the inside. Instead, fill it with candy, fruit, snack mix, whatever you think pairs well with your cake!
Wrapped candies (like a real piñata!)
Gummy worms for a mud inspired cake
Gold coins or other fun novelty candies
Blueberries or Strawberries (make sure fruit has been drained and dried, first, so as not to get the cake soggy)
- Mary Ann cake: A classic and so easy to make.
Get the recipe
- Naked Cake: Bake several of the thin layers and make a tiered cake. Instead of decorating, add berries to the center with whipped cream.
- Dessert Bowls: Not in the mood for cake? Try brownies, cookie dough, or even lining it in cinnamon rolls to create an amazing dessert bowl! Fill that with ice cream or cheesecake dip or whipped cream for an awesome party dish.
- Ice Cream Cake. Bake one large piece the way you normally would and freeze it. Grab the small cake pans and wrap them in plastic wrap. Take your favorite ice cream (you can use one or a variety!) and press it down into the small cake pans. Even those out, then return them to the freezer. Give them about an hour to set, then pull everything out. Pop the ice cream layers out (this is where the plastic wrap is very handy, just unwrap it from the bottom and you should have a perfectly round ice cream disc) and place them in the cave cavity. Freeze the cake again, then frost however you want! Cut and serve for a wonderful ice cream cake surprise.
Get more Tips and Techniques