A "smash cake", in case you're not familiar with it, is giving your baby their own cake on their first birthday to be eaten all by themselves. Generally this means that the cakes are smashed.
Now, my babies didn't get the opportunity to have an entire cake to smash (if I can remember right we gave them a slice), but they did do a fine job of smashing, smearing and making a mess. Of course we thought it was adorable and have many pictures to prove it. Looking back, I'm sure that I would have made a smash cake for them.
Smash Cake Baby's 1st Birthday
Creating a special cake for baby's first birthday is simple. In fact, one box of cake mix will create a beautiful tiered cake that can be enjoyed by your baby and your guests. Make one small tier for baby and one for your guests. Here's how...
- Grease and flour 5" and 3" cake pans (or use Baker's Joy).
- Preheat oven according to cake mix directions.
- Follow instructions on standard box of cake mix. Fill each cake pan 2/3 full, don't overfill. You may have a small amount of batter remaining, which you can discard. Bake according to directions.
- Allow to cool completely on cooling rack. Decorate.
- Step 1. Inspiration. Step 2. Creation. Step 3. Celebration. Sometimes we need to take shortcuts so that we can get to the celebrating sooner.
Share your smash cake photos on Instagram. #fatdaddios