1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
Coconut Cream Filling
3 cups half-and-half
3 cups coconut milk
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
- Make shortbread crust: Preheat your oven to 300°F. Grease a 9 x 13" baking pan. With your food processor mix the butter and sugar. Press into the baking pan. Bake 18-20 minutes or until light brown. Set on a cooling rack.
- Make coconut cream filling: Combine the half-and-half, coconut milk, eggs, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until it’s thick and bubbling. This can take 20 minutes. Be patient.
- Add coconut and vanilla extracts and the 1 1/2 cups of untoasted coconut and stir. Pour this filling over your cooled crust, letting it cool for a bit on the counter before sticking the whole thing in the fridge to chill until firm, about 2 to 4 hours.
- Make meringue topping: Whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar. Continue beating on high speed until soft peaks form. Pour onto top of pie and spread to edges to seal well. Bake at 325 for ten minutes or until top is golden. Refrigerate until completely cold before serving.
- Prior to serving caramelize the meringue with brulee torch. Serve.
TIP: YOU CAN SUBSTITUTE THE MERINGUE FOR WHIPPED CREAM. HERE IS A RECIPE FOR CHANTILLY CREAM
- 1 CUP CREAM
- 2 TBSP CASTER OR POWDERED SUGAR
- ¼ tsp VANILLA
For more inspiration, visit our Pie~Sweet and Savory Pinterest board.