Baking is Science: Fallen Cake
- Did you use the right product? Make sure you used baking powder and NOT baking soda. They don't do the same thing.
- Sometimes recipes require both baking soda and baking powder. Make sure you use both.
- Is it fresh? It really only has a 6 month shelf life. If in doubt, throw it out!
- Don't over do it! Too much baking powder will cause your cake to sink. Do not add it to self-raising flour or boxed cake mix.
- Once you add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients, be gentle! Fold them in, until they are just combined. Then STOP!
- Preheat the oven! Give your oven at least 20 minutes to reach the desired temperature.
- When the temperature is too hot the cake bakes too quickly and doesn't have time to chemically react properly. The sugar heats too quickly and the fat doesn't combine properly. Remember that in a Fat Daddio's baking pan, turn it down 25 F.
- Once you add the wet ingredients to the dry, they need to be ready to go in the oven. Don't let them sit too long on the counter or in the refrigerator. The chemical process has already started, and they need heat.
For more inspiration, visit our Tips and Techniques board on Pinterest.