What you’re aiming for: Yeast flourishes in a humid environment around 80° F. The moisture helps prevent dry skin from forming on the outside of the dough.
A few ways to simulate it:
Using your oven:
- Turn your oven on to the ‘warm’ setting. Let it set for 2-5 minutes. Turn off the oven.
- Cover your loaf pan or bread proofing basket with plastic wrap. Put it in the oven.
- Set a pan of hot water on a rack below the bread. Close door.
Using your shower steam:
- Cover your loaf pan or bread proofing basket in plastic wrap.
- Leave the covered loaf in a safe shelf in your bathroom while the shower is running (time your bread to proof when you’re using it, save water!). The heat and humidity in the room will proof your bread.
Using hot water:
- Boil a large pot of water.
- Cover bread pan or bread proofing basket with plastic wrap.
- Take pot of water off of heat and place a (heat safe) plate over the top. Place bread pan or basket on the plate.