In case you ever wondered...These doll dress cakes are known as "Dolly Varden cakes". Named for a character from a Charles Dickens novel, Barnaby Rudge. They represent a dress that was brightly colored, sometimes flowered and had a large underskirt. The cakes have been a favorite of little girls for years.
1 box cake mix (We used Betty Crocker)
1. Preheat oven to 290°F. Because of the depth of this cake, it needs to bake "low and slow" so that the sides won't burn before the center bakes completely.
2. Lightly grease the Dolly Varden cake pan. Place the heating rod at the bottom of the pan. (Why use a heating rod?)
3. Prepare the batter according to the directions on the cake box.
4. Add batter to cake pan, poring over the heating rod.
5. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 1 hour. Check doneness with a toothpick.
6. Place on a cooling rack and let cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
7. Let cool completely on rack.
8. Remove heating rod from center and decorate as desired.
Check out these Doll Dress Cakes.