Dominos, checkerboards, game cubes and Neapolitan rolls are simple when you use the Fat Daddio's STAX pan. Pan dividers bake strips that can be assembled in any combination you can think of. Because strips bake individually they will have their own crust, thus eliminating crumbs when you stack together. Pan strips are fully adjustable, so you can bake the strips as thick as you like. Take the dividers out and use the pan for a thin sheet cake, brownies, or even fudge!
STAX pan (Fat Daddio's POB-812STX)
Cooling rack (Fat Daddio's CR)
1 box white cake mix (4 cups of batter)
Food coloring, your choice
Fondant (Fat Daddio's FNDT
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
- Prepare cake: Preheat oven to 335° F.
- Lightly grease the STAX pan. Its easiest to grease the pan first, then grease the dividers on each side. Arrange the dividers in the pan.
- Prepare the batter according to the directions on the cake box. Divide batter into two bowls. Color one bowl of batter with food coloring, we chose red. We left the other bowl of batter white.
- Pour first half of batter into first four sections of STAX pan. Pour other half of batter into second half of STAX pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 20-22 minutes. Check doneness with a toothpick. Place on cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Let cool completely on rack.
- Prepare simple syrup: In heavy saucepan, boil sugar until dissolved.
- Assemble cake: Lay one strip of white cake on plate. With pastry brush, coat one side of strip with simple syrup. Repeat with one strip of red cake. Align next to each other.
- Brush top of cake strips with simple syrup. Place red strip on top of white strip. Brush with simple syrup on the side. Place white strip next to it. Repeat with other strips, or create another cake.
- Cover with fondant.
Get fondant tips and tricks.