The dough scraper
has just about as many names as it does uses. Some people call it a bench scraper, dough cutter, dough knife, pastry cutter, board scraper, bench knife. It really doesn't matter... It's one of the hardest working, most versatile tool in the kitchen. If you're not familiar with it, it is a rectangular tool (sometimes made of plastic or stainless steel) with a handle. Simple and effective.
TOP 10 USES FOR A DOUGH SCRAPER
10. Scrape dough off the counter. (Just like it sounds.)
9. Portion dough into sections. Perfect for making rolls.
8. Chop foods, such as bread crumbs, veggies, sausages.
7. Scrape work surfaces clean. This is a must when you are cleaning up flour that has glued itself to the counter.
QUICK TIP: Place the dough scraper in the fridge when you are chilling your dough, so that the stainless steel won't warm your dough too quickly.
6. Lifting sticky dough from the counter to the baking tray.
5. Lifting a pie dough from the board to the pie pan.
4. Working with melted chocolate on a marble slab.
3. Ideal for working with fondant. It can lift, cut and scrape gently.
2. Cleaning up flour from a counter.
1. Manipulating dough for various recipes.