You know that commercial for a certain snack cracker that says, "Get Your Own Box"? Well I admit, I've growled that phrase at my family more than once. I love cheesy snack crackers! What I don't love is the list of ingredients on the box. They are full of preservatives and things that I don't even know what they are. Don't get me wrong, I am not against snack food. I just believe that it should be enjoyed in moderation. So, I recently tried to bake my own cheesy crackers. They were simple to make (well not as simple as opening a box) and tasted pretty good. I'll make them again. And I'll be honest with you... I'll buy the crackers in the red box again too.
Fondant Mat (Fat Daddio's SFM)
Silicone Baking Mat (Fat Daddio's SM)
Cookie Sheet (Fat Daddio's CS)
Rolling Rod, Stainless Steel (Fat Daddio's RR)
Wheel Cutter (Fat Daddio's WC)
QUICK TIP: Place stainless steel rolling rod in the refrigerator, to make it easier to work with the dough.
1 1/2 cups cheddar, shredded
4 Tablespoons butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place silicone baking mat on top of cookie sheet.
- In a food processor, pulse all of the ingredients together until it forms a ball (about 2 minutes).
- On fondant mat, roll dough out to 1/8" thick.
- Using a pastry wheel cut dough into 1" squares. Follow the grid lines on the mat. Place cracker squares 1/2" apart from each other on silicone baking mat.
- Using a toothpick, poke each cracker in the center so that they don’t puff too much. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake at 350º F for 8-12 minutes, until lightly browned on the edges. Remove from oven. Set cookie sheet on cooling rack. Allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container (if they last that long).
Recipe adapted from Cooking Ala Me
For more inspiration, visit our Appetizers board on Pinterest.