My husband recently gave up gluten as a lifestyle choice. He's since dropped a lot of weight and looks and feels great. This change has been a learning experience for me. Before this I had never tasted a gluten-free baked good, let alone made one. Baking gluten-free is a bit different. The batter never looks like it normally does. The timing is quicker. And the texture is different. But, like all baking, I've tested and tried some different methods. Some work. Some don't. This chocolate cake has been a success for me. By substituting coconut flour and almond flour for all-purpose flour, you make it high in fiber, low in carbs and add a punch of protein! But, why not go one step further an bake mini cakes in a 3x3" cake pan. Satisfy your craving with a healthy twist. Here's how...
Mini Chocolate Coconut Flour Cakes
Whisk or electric mixer
¾ – 1 cup vanilla almond milk
4 organic egg whites
1 organic egg, whole
¼ cup raw cocoa powder
¼ cup almond flour
¼ cup of coconut flour
2 tablespoon cold espresso (or cold coffee from the morning)
6 pitted dates, soaked and chopped
1 tablespoon flax seed, ground
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
QUICK NOTE: At first your batter will look thin and watery when you use coconut flour. This will change as the coconut flour starts to absorb the moisture. The overall batter will be thinner than a standard cake batter. Don't worry, it will come together when baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 10 mini cake pans (or one 8" cake pan).
- Soak dates until softened. Puree with almond milk so you don’t have large chunks. Combine all the wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl (eggs, almond milk, vanilla, coffee, dates). Whisk until combined or using a mixer.
- Pour in dry ingredients (all remaining ingredients), and stir until well combined.
- Pour batter in cake pans, fill 2/3 full. (Or fill if using a 8" pan.)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (20-30 minutes for 8" round cake), or until you can stick a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean.
- Cool completely on cooling rack.
- Garnish with buttercream frosting and fresh berries.
Recipe adapted from NutritionStripped.com