Vanilla Sour Cream Cake
1 cup Vanilla sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract or paste
1 ¾ cups sifted cake flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup dairy sour cream
4 stiffly beaten egg whites
1 ½ cups sugar
2 large egg whites room temperature
6 tablespoons cold water
1 tablespoon Vanilla Syrup
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla paste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 8 x 2" cake pans.
- Cream together 1 cup vanilla sugar and butter, add vanilla extract or paste.
- In separate bowl sift together cake flour, baking powder salt and soda. Add flour to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating just till mixed. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour mixture into two greased and lightly floured 8 ½ by 1 ½ round baking pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Test cakes with toothpick by inserting in center to make sure it comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely before filling and decorating.
Make the vanilla frosting:
- Bring two inches of water to simmer in bottom of double boiler then in top of double boiler. Combine the sugar, egg whites, water, cream of tartar, syrup and salt.
- Beat with electric mixer (about 7 minutes) on high- it will quadruple in volume and become shiny and form peaks.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla paste.
- Continue to beat 2 minutes longer and use immediately.
Recipes courtesy of Heilala Vanilla.