Stand Mixer with hook attachment
12 oz tomato paste
1 ½ cups warm water
¼ cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon of oregano
1 teaspoon of marjoram
1 teaspoon fennel
1 teaspoon of basil
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 tablespoon + ½ tsp. active dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (unbleached preferred)
¾ cup of corn oil
2 ½ teaspoons Kosher salt
Butter as needed
Quick Tip: Make pizza dough and sauce the day before!
- In a mixing bowl combine all sauce ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Let sauce sit for 20 minutes so flavors settle.
- In a large mixing bowl add warm water, yeast, sugar, and only a 1/2 cup of the flour. Stir well and let stand for 10 minutes. The mixture will bubble as the yeast begins to activate.
- Add oil, salt, and flour to mixture. Mix 2 - 3 minutes using a stand mixer with hook attachment. Dough should be slightly sticky, but binding together.
- Lightly flour a work surface and form the dough into a ball. Do not knead the dough.
- With a stick of butter generously grease the inside of a large mixing bowl. (Dough will nearly double original size so ensure bowl is big enough.) Place dough into mixing bowl and turn over repeatedly until coated with butter. Cover bowl with a towel and let dough rise at room temp for at least 4 hours. (Dough can rest overnight.)
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Remove towel from bowl and punch down the dough using your fists. Let dough rest, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from bowl and place on floured work surface. Work dough until about 12".
- Generously butter the bottom and sides of the Fat Daddio’s removable bottom-heart pan. Gently lift and place dough into the pan, allowing the excess to temporarily hang over the top of the pan. Press dough down into pan bottom then press the hanging dough into the corners and walls of the pan. Make sure dough is pressed well against bottom and walls of the pan. Trim any excess dough with a knife.
- Roll dough docker across the dough vertically and horizontally through the dough.
- Begin building the perfect deep dish pie with your favorite toppings. For best results layer in order; cheese, meats, veggies, sauce on top.
- Bake at 425 F for approximately 30-35 minutes, or until pizza is browned and bubbling. Use pizza lifter to remove from oven. Let cool 5-10 minutes.
- With potholders on hands, gently push pizza through the sides of the fan. Cut with pizza cutter.
For more inspiration, visit our Pizza board on Pinterest.