Measuring cups and spoons
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
scant ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup (113g/1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cup (131g) brown sugar, packed
¼ cup mild flavored molasses
1 large egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (140g) powdered (icing) sugar, sifted, more if necessary
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Line two baking sheets with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, allspice, cloves and pepper.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter, brown sugar and molasses until creamy and lighter in color. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Stir in the dry ingredients.
- Using 1 tablespoon for each cookie, roll dough into balls and place them 5cm (2in) apart onto prepared sheets. Bake until golden brown on the bottom and just fir to touch, about 14 minutes. Cool on the sheets over a wire rack for 5 minutes, then carefully coat warm cookies with the icing sugar.
- Transfer to the rack and cool completely.