If you've ever been to the Northwest then you've more than likely had a "pink cookie". They are legendary around here. In Spokane, one place you can get them is at a locally-owned chain called Rocket Bakery. A pink cookie is a soft sugar cookie that snaps when you bite into it not like the Christmas cookie. They are always round, and are only frosted in pink (because, after all, pink is the best flavor!)
Finding a recipe for these legendary cookies is next to impossible. So, I'm not going to claim that this recipe is the famous pink cookie. In fact, it's a lot different. First of all, it's gluten-free and vegan (Don't hold that against it.) It's a soft sugar cookie with sweet frosting and it's delicious too. Personally, I think that it needs to be frosted a different color so as not to cause any confusion with the pink cookie.
So why not GREEN? Perfect for St. Patrick's Day.
Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies
Makes 20-22 cookies
2 cups Sarah's gluten free flour blend*
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups organic powdered sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil, soft
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups organic powdered sugar
3-4 Tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk, room temperature
2 Tablespoons vegan butter, softened
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place silicone baking mat on cookie sheet.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour blend, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In bowl of stand mixer, beat together powdered sugar, coconut oil, coconut milk and vanilla until creamy. Add flour mixture and continue to mix until combined. Dough will thicken as you stir.
- With your cookie scoop, portion dough balls on to baking mat. Flatten slightly with fingers to 1/2-inch thick. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Do not over bake, as cookies won't turn golden brown.
- Remove cookies from oven and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make vanilla frosting, mix together powdered sugar, 3 Tablespoons coconut milk, vegan butter and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy. Add an additional 1-2 Tablespoons of coconut milk, until desired consistency. Add a few drops of food coloring (if desired). Frost cookies.
- Allow frosting to set before storing cookies. *For this recipe, I used my lighter flour blend by replacing the sorghum flour with white rice flour.
Recipe adapted from Sarah Bakes Gluten Free Treats