Sweet orange muffins bursting with bright cranberries… an absolute day starter.
- Standard or mini muffin pans (MFN-STD, MFN-MINI)
- Cooling Rack (CR-HALF)
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Unsalted butter, room temperature, 1/2 cup
- Granulated sugar, 1/2 cup
- Light Brown Sugar, packed, 1/4 cup
- Large eggs, room temperature, 2 ea
- Yogurt, plain, 1/2 cup
- Pure Vanilla extract, 2 tsp.
- Zest of 2 Oranges
- Flour, all purpose, 1 3/4 cups
- Baking Soda, 1 tsp.
- Baking Powder, 1 tsp.
- Salt, 1/2 tsp
- Orange Juice, 2 Tbsp.
- Milk, 2 Tbsp.
- Cranberries, fresh or frozen, 1 1/2 cup
- Confectioner’s Sugar, 1 cup
- Orange Juice, 1-2 Tbsp.
Preheat oven to 425° F (218° C). Spray or line a 12 count muffin pans.
Beat butter on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add granulated and brown sugar and beat on high until creamed. Scrape bowl. Add the eggs, yogurt and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute, then on high speed until the mixture is combined and uniform in texture. Scraping bowl as needed. Beat in orange zest until combined.
In a large bowl, toss together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and slowly mix with a whisk. Add the orange juice and milk, gently whisking until combined and little lumps remain. Fold in cranberries with a wooden spoon or spatula.
Spoon batter in to prepared muffin pan, filling them all the way to the top. Top each muffin with 2-3 cranberries. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°, then lower the temperature to 350° (keeping muffins in the oven). Continue baking for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Total bake time: 23-25 minutes.
While muffins are cooking for a few minutes, make the glaze. Drizzle over barely warm muffins. Allow to cool before serving.
- Mix the batter (minus the cranberries) the night before. This helps them to rise better and to have a better crumb.
- Using less juice will thicken the glaze.