- 11 x 15″ Sheet Cake Pan (Fat Daddio’s POB-11153)
- Twelve 3” x 3″ Round Cake & Pastry Rings (Fat Daddio’s SSRD-3030)
- Half Sheet Pan (Fat Daddio’s SP-HALF)
- Mixing bowls
- Double boiler
- Electric mixer
INGREDIENTS / CHOCOLATE CAKE:
- Granulated sugar, 1 cup
- All-purpose flour, 1 cup
- Unsweetened cocoa, 2 tbsp
- Butter, ¼ cup
- Water, ½ cup
- Vegetable oil, ¼ cup
- Egg, 1
- Buttermilk, ¼ cup
- Baking soda, ¾ tsp
- Pure vanilla extract, ½ tsp
TIP: Bake the cake one day in advance.
INGREDIENTS / ESPRESSO MOUSSE:
- Semisweet chocolate, chopped; 8 oz (plus more, shaved for garnishing)
- Large egg yolks, 3 ea.
- Instant espresso powder, 2 tsp.
- Granulated sugar, 6 Tbsp.
- Heavy cream, 2 cups
INGREDIENTS / CREME ANGLAISE:
- Whipping cream, 1 cup
- Granulated sugar, 2 Tbsp.
- Vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise (or Vanilla extract, 3/4 tsp.)
- Egg yolks, beaten; 3 ct
- Prepare Chocolate Cake: Preheat oven to 350° F (177° C). Lightly grease and flour 11” x 15″ baking pan. In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, and cocoa.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter with water and oil; bring to boil. Remove from heat and pour over dry ingredients; mix well. Add egg, buttermilk, baking soda, and vanilla extract; blend thoroughly.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake approximately 10-15 minutes or until tester or toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Cut 12 round pieces from the prepared cake using the ring mold. Set ring molds on sheet pan. Place each cake in the bottom of the mold. Set aside.
- Prepare Chocolate Mousse: Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, stirring often, until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, espresso powder, 4 tablespoons of the sugar, and ¾ cup of the cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until the mixture lightly coats the back of the spatula, 2 to 3 minutes (do not boil). Strain into the melted chocolate and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until completely cooled, about 30 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1 ¼ cups cream and 2 tablespoons sugar until stiff peaks form.
- In 3 additions, fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Divide among 12 round ring molds and refrigerate while you are preparing the creme topping.
- Prepare Creme Anglaise: In a heavy medium-size saucepan, combine cream and sugar. Scrape vanilla bean seeds into pan. Add pod. Bring mixture just to boil over medium-low heat (but DO NOT LET IT BOIL longer or it may curdle). Whisk yolks in medium bowl to blend. Whisk in half of cream. Return mixture to saucepan and cook until thickened, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes; strain into bowl. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled. Add to the top of the ring molds once chilled.
- Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.