Vibrant spring colors like yellow. Reminds me of lemons, which reminds me of this cake. Here is a simple cake for springtime.
Lemon Curd Cake
- Two 9″ round cake pans (Fat Daddio’s PRD-92)
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Double boiler
- Cooling Rack (Fat Daddio’s CR-1417)
INGREDIENTS: Butter Cake
- All-purpose flour, 2 1/2 cups
- Baking powder, 1 Tbsp.
- Salt, ½ tsp.
- Sugar, 1 ½ cups
- Butter, softened, ¾ cup
- Eggs, 4 ea.
- Vanilla, 1 Tbsp.
- Milk, 1 ¼ cups
INGREDIENTS: Lemon Curd
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1/2 cup
- Sugar, 1/3 cup (or 1/2 cup if using regular lemons)
- Large egg yolks, 2 ea.
- Large eggs, 2ea.
- Salt, a pinch
- Unsalted butter, cubed; 6 tbsp
- Prepare the cake: Heat oven to 325° F (163° C). Grease and flour two 9″ round cake pans. Set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in bowl. Set aside.
- Beat sugar and butter in bowl at medium speed scraping bowl occasionally until creamy. Add 1 egg at a time beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with milk beating at low speed after each addition just until mixed.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on cooling racks. Loosen edge of cake by running knife around inside edge. Carefully remove cake from pan, allow to cool completely.
- Prepare the lemon curd: Place a mesh strainer over a bowl and set aside.
- In a double boiler, whisk together the lemon juice, sugar, egg yolks, eggs, and salt.
- Add the butter cubes and set the pan over low heat, whisking constantly until the butter is melted.
- Increase the heat and cook over moderate heat whisking constantly until the mixture thickens and just begins to become jelly-like. It is done when you lift the whisk and the mixture holds its shape when it falls back into the saucepan from the whisk.
- Immediately press the curd through the strainer. Once strained, store the lemon curd in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to one week.
- When cakes are cooled and ready to serve, spread lemon curd over the top. Add a simple garish of chocolate sprinkles.