- Mini Marshmallows, 16 oz pkg
- Water, 2-5 tbsp
- Powdered sugar (sifted), 8 cups
- Vegetable Shortening, 1/3 Cup
- Vanilla (or favorite flavoring), 1 tsp *optional
- Place marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds intervals on high. Stirring in between intervals. Do this until they are fully melted and smooth. (I add my flavoring to the melting marshmallows).
- Placed about 4-5 cups of the powdered sugar on the melted marshmallows and gently fold in.
- Grease your hands and work surface generously with shortening. Turn marshmallow mixture onto the work surface and start kneading it like you would bread dough.
- Add more confectioners sugar as needed and re-grease your hands and surface as needed.
- If the marshmallow fondant is tearing easily, it is too dry, add water about ½ tablespoon at a time. Continue kneading until it forms a firm, smooth, elastic ball that will stretch without tearing.
*This recipe will yield 3 pounds of fondant.
Storing: Coat it with a thin layer of shortening, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and then place in a resealable bag. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Coloring: if coloring the entire batch, it is good to add the color to the melting marshmallows.
For smaller amounts: add color to the fondant and knead until evenly mixed.